Proverbs 29:18, Jeremiah 29:11, 1 Corinthians 12:12–27, Hosea 4:6, Habakkuk 2:2…
I’ve entitled this message ‘Looking Outside the Barn to See Our Destiny’.
Many times, we can get so caught up in what we see with our physical eyes that we miss what God is doing in our midst and His vision for us. The only thing we can do to combat this is seek the Lord for what His will is and then remind ourselves of the Vision that He has given us. AMEN?
Let me just say – it’s now been 9 years since we launched VBC – we’ve been in the building for 8 years. Now, this building may be a barn which God has birthed this church in. But it’s time to look beyond the barn and into our God given destiny. Yet, in a weird sort of way, many have gotten comfortable here and, in that state, we can’t see that this building is actually stunting our growth. We’ve been doing what we can maintain it. But because it’s a barn good people don’t stay, others don’t give us the time of day – they don’t’ take us seriously – so they don’t come.
- Listen, good people are not coming because the facilities are not welcoming to a broad spectrum of people
- There’s not enough room for children and youth ministry
- It’s not welcoming
- So, on and so on and so on
- Let me just say this – I use to think that our lack of growth was all my fault…. I’m done blaming myself. It’s time to Look Outside the Barn to See Our Destiny
To help us see what I’m talking about today – let me give you a little illustration, a story that really address the other side of our lack of growth.
- Due to poor living conditions, a woman and her children, became so accustomed to their surroundings and living conditions. That when given a job opportunity that would move into a clean and healthy home and totally change their lives. They struggled– feeling like they weren’t good enough – it was alien – she had such a strong desire to go back to her previous living condition, lifestyle. That’s she gave up and never saw the blessings that God had for her.
- This is what is called recidivistism (which means to go back to a bad lifestyle) all because she couldn’t see beyond her norm – so she went back to her previous condition.
- Thinking that somehow, the old situation was better than what God had for her.
This is what I call the barn mentality – It’s what we always known – It stinks, it’s a hinderance, it’s unsafe but it’s what we’ve always know and in a weird way feels right. It’s comfortable… But it’s not good.
Ancient Israel, when they left Egypt, had this same barn or wilderness mentality. They could only see their lives as slaves and that it was better for them back in Egypt then what God had for them. That’s why they couldn’t see God but only their living condition – they would say things like ‘Moses why did you bring us out here to the desert to die’. They complained, murmured, and fought God at every step. All because they couldn’t see their destiny in the promised land that God had for them.
Because of their barn-mentality that entire generation (except Joshua and Caleb) died in the wilderness because of their lack of faith, rebellion and short sightedness.
- Our destiny is Victory – Victory in Jesus
- We’ve gotta look to Jesus – not for what we can get out of Him but for who He is and what He has done.
My point is that, for us, this Barn Mentality has darkened our eyes of faith and causes us to settle for the current condition – rather than pressing forward in Christ – WE”VE GOTTA get ahold of God’s will and vision for us and believe for more.
Because of this lack of vision, the situation has gotten worse. The building and property slowly slide into neglect and people seem to find other things to do rather then come to church, some find fault and quit and many have allowed their faithfulness in the matter of their time, talents and tender to go dry.
- WE NEED REVELATION FOLKS!
Prov 29:18 says
Proverbs 29:18 (HCSB) 18 Without revelation people run wild, but one who listens to instruction will be happy.
- So, today I’m bringing instruction – I pray you’re happy!
- the fix is to be reminded of the vision
- Doing so reignites faith and encourages us to believe for more than then status quote.
So, let me remind us all of our God given Vision:
VictoryBikerChurchisanon-denominationalchurchhomeforbikersandmotorcyclistsfromallMotorcycle Ministries,Clubs,independentridersandnon-riders!WorkingtogetherfortheGloryofGodintrueunityinthe SpiritofChristJesus.
Tobe awitnessofJesusChrist-God’sloveinbikercommunitieseverywhere.Tobringbikerstoa savingrelationshipwithJesus ChristandmembershipinHISfamily,todevelopthemintoChrist-likematurity,tostrengthenthebikerfamilyandequipthemfortheirministryinthechurchandlife missionintheworld,inordertobringhonorandglorytoGod.
- ProvideanatmospherethataffirmsandsupportstheBikerwayoflife(i.e.motorcycles,leather, tattoos,etc).
- Tohaveaplacewherebikersfromalloverthecountyandbeyondcanfindlove,acceptance, help,hope,forgiveness,guidanceandencouragement.
- TosharingtheGoodNews ofJesusChristwiththousandsuponthousandsofbikersandthose thatcanidentifywiththebikerlifestyle.
- Toequipeverybelieverforasignificantministryby helpingthemdiscoverthegiftsandtalents thatGodhasalreadygiventhem.
- Topurchaseland,onwhichwillbe builtaregionalchurchforthetri-countyarea-withmotorcycledealershiplikefacilities….Includingaworshipcenter,classroomsforeducationand addictionrecovery,food/clothingministryfacilitiesand lotsoflandforbikerallies,biker blessings,concerts,BBQsandmore.
THAT’S THE VISION!!
Listen… we’ve gotten comfortable in this barn – Though thankful – it’s time to move out of the barn and into God’s destiny for us.
Listen, Jesus may have been born in a barn – BUT HE DIDN’T STAY THERE, DID HE? J
- He grew in stature, wisdom and righteousness.
- He saw what God the Father was doing and did it!
- He heard what God the Father was saying and said it.
- He accomplished the will of God – thus saving us all from sin and death.
Ephesians 5:16 (HCSB) 16 making the most of the time, because the days are evil.
- Let me just say that – sitting back and not engaging is not making the most of the time.
Yes, it’s always about God’s will and His timing. I’m not saying that we get out in from of Him or anything. Just that we are God’s will and that we have a part to play in His will. We have steps to take -in faith – to fulfill God’s destiny.
- It’s time we step out in faith as one body!
Q: What is destiny?
destiny | ˈdestinē | noun (plural destinies) the events that will necessarily happen to a particular person or thing in the future: she was unable to control her own destiny. • the hidden power believed to control what will happen in the future; fate: he believes in destiny.
Let me put it this way – God has a plan (His Destiny) for us and that destiny isn’t for us to burn up and fade away or even stay small.
God said in Jer 29:11 says
Jeremiah 29:11 (HCSB) 11 For I know the plans I have for you” —this is the Lord’s declaration—“plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.
The Lord didn’t have me start this to have it die off – we, all of us, have a part to play in this. God has given us the plan, the purpose, the vision now it’s up to us to carry it out. AMEN?
Listen, this isn’t a one man show or a small group doing all the work. It takes all of us doing our God given parts.
Turn to 1 Cor 12:12
1 Corinthians 12:12–27 (HCSB)
12 For as the body is one and has many parts, and all the parts of that body, though many, are one body—so also is Christ. 13 For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and we were all made to drink of one Spirit. 14 So the body is not one part but many. 15 If the foot should say, “Because I’m not a hand, I don’t belong to the body,” in spite of this it still belongs to the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I’m not an eye, I don’t belong to the body,” in spite of this it still belongs to the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But now God has placed each one of the parts in one body just as He wanted. 19 And if they were all the same part, where would the body be? 20 Now there are many parts, yet one body.
21 So the eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” Or again, the head can’t say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” 22 But even more, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are necessary. 23 And those parts of the body that we think to be less honorable, we clothe these with greater honor, and our unpresentable parts have a better presentation. 24 But our presentable parts have no need of clothing. Instead, God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the less honorable, 25 so that there would be no division in the body, but that the members would have the same concern for each other. 26 So if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.
27 Now you are the body of Christ, and individual members of it.
Romans 12:4 goes on to say…
Romans 12:4 (HCSB) 4 Now as we have many parts in one body, and all the parts do not have the same function,
VBC – We are one body – one church and Jesus Christ is the head. God’s will for us is to support each other, in love, supplying what God has placed in each of us to build His church and His Kingdom.
There are great needs – needs of involvement in this church. Everything from:
- Children’s ministry workers to sound engineering to helping Elder Bill with grounds and facilities to Event Planning.
- You are needed… please engage!
Vision for the future
So…. With all that being said – you should now understand that you, personally, have a part to play in this church and your involvement is so desperately needed.
So, you might be thinking…
Q: What do we do next?
Turn with me to Hosea 4:6
Hosea 4:6 (HCSB) 6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will reject you from serving as My priest. Since you have forgotten the law of your God, I will also forget your sons.
- So, without God’s vision (lack of knowledge) being made known – we will perish – not because it’s God’s will but because of our neglect. Neglect in not seeking His face, His will, His direction.
Today, I’m casting vision for us all to see, to pick up and to run with as one body in Christ Jesus.
Hab 2:2 says
Habakkuk 2:2 (HCSB) 2 The Lord answered me: Write down this vision; clearly inscribe it on tablets so one may easily read it.
Instead of using stone and chisel I’m going to put some pictures up – in a little bit to drive home what I believe the Lord is moving us toward.
But first we need to know that God wants us to enlarge our territory – He wants us to grow and He is inviting us to, by faith, work with Him – in unison – to accomplish His will for us – VBCI.
Isaiah 54:2 says
Isaiah 54:2 (HCSB) 2 “Enlarge the site of your tent, and let your tent curtains be stretched out; do not hold back; lengthen your ropes, and drive your pegs deep.
Father God, help us to enlarge our tent, extend our tent pegs, lengthen our ropes to make room for your will here at VBCI. Drive our pegs deep and cause us to make room for more people coming into your salvation. We pray your Kingdom Come, Your Will BE DONE here on earth as it is in heaven.
- First and foremost, our number 1 focus must always be on Jesus
Matt 6:33 says:
Matthew 6:33 (HCSB) 33 But seek first the kingdom of Godand His righteousness, and all these things will be provided for you.
As we run to complete the will of God – fixing our gaze upon Jesus – God’s promise here is that all we need will be provided.
From here on out we will look upward and forward toward Jesus – we’re not going to look back – we’re not going to focus on the past but learn from past mistakes and move forward in Christ. We NOT going to find fault in everyone and everything but look for the spark of God’s glory and expect God to do what only God can do!
We’re not going to fight God or each other just as Isaiah 43:18-19 says
Isaiah 43:18–19 (HCSB) 18 “Do not remember the past events, pay no attention to things of old. 19 Look, I am about to do something new; even now it is coming. Do you not see it? Indeed, I will make a way in the wilderness, rivers in the desert.
God is doing something new here at VBCI – He’s leading us out of the barn and into His greater destiny for us!!!
Q: Are you in or are you just watching from the side lines?
Looking to the future – to the Lord’s vision – it’s time to move out of the barn and into our destiny.
Listen the Goal – The Vision isn’t to just have a big building and all this land. But to make room for all the people God has for us – to introduce Jesus to the lost, to disciple people, to teach people to know who they are in Christ Jesus, to do Kingdom business and to do great exploits for the Lord God Almighty!
So here is what has been on my heart for many years – First, I want to thank brother Mark Booher for learning this new software and running with my chicken scratch ideas – He heard my heart and God blessed him to see what He had given me. Thank you, Mark!!
- Let me close with this – Some of you are asking yourselves ‘how are we going to do that?’
- The answer is – in ourselves we can’t – it’s too big for us – but for God all things are possible. So, we have to get behind the Vision and work it.